Getting Your Card
Becoming A Medical Marijuana Patient in Montana
1. To meet medical marijuana qualifications in Montana, Patients must be a resident of the state of Montana with proof of residency. If you do not have a Montana I.D. an out of state I.D., passport, or other photo I.D. with proof of residency such as bank statement, utility bill, etc is acceptable.
2. The qualifying patient must have been diagnosed by a physician as having a debilitating medical condition — *Find a certified medical marijuana physician in Montana
3. Patients must obtain legitimate medical records or documentation from your primary care physician describing their diagnosis and bring these records with you to your marijuana evaluation appointment — *Learn how to request your medical records
4. If you are applying for marijuana use for chronic pain, you must provide necessary and relevant x-ray, MRI or other diagnostics; OR have a second physician may confirm the chronic pain diagnosis, after performing a physical exam.
5. If the patient is a minor, applying to qualify for medical marijuana on or after June 20, 2011, you are required to have a recommendation from two physicians in order to qualify for the registry.
6. Obtain a written certification from a physician licensed in the state of Montana.
7. Once the patient has received a written certification from the physician, he or she must register with the Department of Health and Human Services as a qualifying patient, and obtain a Montana Medical Marijuana card from the state of Montana.